View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: HARDWARE DIY/MODS/REPAIRS THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Well there is a short story behind this DIY. I went to sam ash to return a broken cymbal, got there,and they said i have to send it in myself. I was dumb and didnt read the warranty, it clearly says that. So im at samash and figured i should look around. I was looking at some of the hardware they have and saw the Danmar wooden beaters. I thought, ive seen a lot of metal drummers using these maybe ill give them a shot. There was no price tag so i said " they cant be more than 12 bucks each right?" I proceed to the checkout to find out that they are 20 bucks each! Thats 40 bucks for double beater! I went home and decided to make some myself.

I used the shaft off of some old felt beaters that came w/ stock pedals ive had. The wood came from the leg of a chair! This chairs legs were not straight they, they had designs in them, some parts rouded and others pointy. Hard to explain ill post a pic when i get back home. I took a part of the wood that was rounded and cut a peice big enough for the shafts that had. All I had to go then is sand them down a bit and dill holes. I chose to drill the holes off center so i would have more adjustment. I think they are a great option to spending 40 bucks on Danmar beaters. Total cost, free for me, i had the chair lying around. For those who want to do this i would say go to ur local home depot or hardware store and see if they sell decorative legs, if they dont just but a peice of 2x2 or 3x3 and sand it down a bit, square beaters might be cool too.
Anyway heres some pics.

next ill be bending the shaft in two places to give the beater more of a foward angle.
|
|
\
.\
..|
..|
like that^^

p.s. this post has made me realize how hard it is to describe shapes lol.
Very good! The contrast between the old-world look of the beaters with the high-tech look of the Axis pedals is a neat contrast.

It is possible to buy round wooden balls of about that size at most hardware stores. But I like how you found suitable materials around the house and did your own thing. The outrageous cost of gear has led me to do my own mods in many cases. Heck, for a lot of the stuff I want to do, no one makes gear for it. I recently made my own beaters with a couple of those giant superballs ($1 each out of a vending machine). They're not as bouncy as you'd think and they really fatten the sound.

You might want to glue a piece of felt to one side of the beaters and sand another side flat. Then you'd have different playing surfaces to use.