Thread: Too Obsessed?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Too Obsessed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk9290 View Post
if it is taking away from everything else in your life, then it is too obsessed, but if it is just your greatest passion, then its fine. My mom used to think the same way until I started being a lot more active with the drums rather than just practicing an hour a day for no real results. Now she has realized that drums are pretty much my life. Of course, i have become addicted to drums- I'm on vacation right now, but still posting here, and when I put away my drumset before coming, it felt like burying a deceased family member. Also, I have relapsed and have re-taken up guitar since I can't go a week and a half without playing some sort of instrument!
I think your mom just hasn't had time to realize that drumming is your passion and dedication, like some kids have with football or basketball or cars or whatever else.
It doesn't take away from anything else in my life...it actually adds to it. I've grown more active in my church's music dept. (youth choir, youth praise band). It is difficult for me to go on vacation with out drumming as well...I got a djembe this past Christmas and I've started to take it everywhere just to get some rhythm pumping through my veins. I've also been checking up on craigslist and there's a Christian Metal band looking for a drummer in my state and I thought my parents wouldn't mind me playing in a Christian band. I've also wanted to learn metal.
It's also really hard for me to have more than one interest because I have a condition called Aspergers Syndrome but she just doesn't know how to deal with it.

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me