Thread: Vinnie Colaiuta
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

Quote:
Originally Posted by noVIce LegENd
Mmmm...He has great chops but i wonder why his solos(on video) are always quite the same... either bass and toms alternate or snare and toms alternate... i seem to realise that he like to have his left hand single stroke( cannot be considered roll ) in all his playing. Can someone enlighten me? Is that his "style"?
It's kind of like Steve Gadd, who also seems to do the same things over and over when he solos. Vinnie and Gadd make their living playing with other artists, spending most of that time in the studio. Drummers like Terry Bozzio spend a lot of time pushing the limits of the instrument in the exhibition circuit, which gives them the time to work on new ideas, set ups, etc.

To me it's like a rhythm guitarist. A lot of great lead players cannot play good rhythm guitar because they don't work on it as much as a rhythm guitarist. But both types of guitarists are important and very necessary to making good music.

Vinnie, like Gadd is more of a band player and because he's so good at it everyone wants to have him on their album. Is he the greatest ever? I don't know, some people think so. But you can't deny the impact he has had on the drumming world and at least in his case it's not just popularity, it's talent. But let's not forget that he was one of many drummer who studied Gadd carefully so one begins to wonder where Vinnie would've been if Gadd had not been the drummer he was. This, I think is why so many people call Steve Gadd the most influencial drummer in modern drumming today.