View Single Post
Old 03-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: DRUM INSTRUCTION DVD & BOOK REVIEWS

OK I will give an old one a shot here....especially since it is re-released on DVD:
NAME:
TERRY BOZZIO: Solo Drums
STAR RATING:
WORDED RATING:
Great video- ahead of it's time in a way
TARGET AUDIENCE:
Medium to advanced players
PUBLISHED BY:
DCI video ( originally) not sure who has DVD rights
DESCRIPTION:
This video is the begining of many of the techniques Terry Bozzio has come up with and showcases his soloing ability for the most part. Key things that are sovering are basic grip and arm mobility. Practicing various rolls using both hands and feet, Permutations of 16th note soloing phrases and ostinato drum soloing. Bozzio shows solos invloving triplet feels and 16th notes feels utilizing his fett and left hand to 'hold down' the ostinato patterns while soloing with his right hand. He also holds certain patterns with his feet while soloing with both hands. Odd times are discussed somewhat and examples are played in cluding the US Drag groove. I remember when the video came out so many were saying "yeah but how can I apply this stuff?"...well to me anyway ostinatos are used all the time in jazz and rock ...so I find the techinques to be useful in becoming a more well rounded player. Also the Soloing concepts are a grea alternative to a "just blowing chops" style of soloing with little direction . So the idea of using musical themes and playing more musically in general as a drummer I feel was helpful. Seeing other players nowadays like Minneman, Virgil and Lang ....I guess some of these guys might agree. Plus the other thing I liked was being able to see how the guy thought about his playing- something in general I like to see from any Drum video.