Thread: Joey Jordison
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 01:48 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Joey Jordison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Agreed.

I think it's important that a drummer - or any musician - play what the music calls for. Depending on the style of music, that could be a funky groove, mindless Phil Rudd backbeat, fast/mechanistic/soulless blast beat, highly syncopated jazz polyrhythm, whatever. I think it's dumb to say "Joey doesn't play a groove" when that aspect of music isn't valued in this particular genre. He plays what he needs to play and does it well in terms of what the genre calls for. Slipknot's brand of metal is as subtle as a jackhammer and the drummer needs to support that.

To me, Ringo Starr is one of the most uninspiring, limp drummers I have ever heard. But he played exactly what the music needed.

www.terrasonus.com
I agree completely. I myself used to find Brad Wilk (Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine) boring and unoriginal, until I realized how much is playing complimented the other musicians.

When people slam drummers for being too technical, no technical enough, or unoriginal, they're usually taking the playing out of context.

PS: Deathmetalconga your avatar is freaking me out...

My Yamaha Kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...050#post287050