View Single Post
Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
. think of it like if you were going to be locked in a remote log cabin for a whole winter, which 10 albums would you take, if 10 were all you could take?

thanks
j
My list would probably be very uninspiring from a drumming perspective, I tend to enjoy my music as a whole, rather than because of the drumming on it. I could probably name albums from artists like The Turtles, DEVO, Elvis Costello, Beatles, Blondie, U2, The Who, Talking Heads, Zappa... but more because they hold up as listenable songs, than that I am focused on the drumming. I love what Pete Thomas and Chris Frantz and Ringo and Bozzio etc did with their respective groups, but that's not why I listen to those groups' works. It's the whole package - the song has to work on all levels, not strictly because of the drumming, production, or lyrics. I really don't even think about lyrics, and so I have no objections to Britney Spears or Backstreet or n*Sync. Apart from the lyrics which clearly cater to young teens, a lot of those tracks really rock. Don't know that I'd put them in my top-10 though. And even as much as I love Zappa, I can't listen to a lot of his stuff, unless the entire track happens to hold up as a listenable work. I can't just listen to the drumming if I don't also like the music.

Conversely, I appreciate what drummers like Max Roach, Art Blakey, Joe Morello etc have done, but I rarely listen to them because I have a short attention span for jazz. I have a large collection of CDs and vinyl, and there's a fair bit of jazz represented, but more for reference than enjoyable listening. I couldn't put them in my top-10, either.

However I do have a serious love for Gene Krupa's work, and can listen to his big band and later jazz work tirelessly. Go figure.

So, whether or not I like the drummer, it's about the music for me, and I'm very pop oriented. My list would cause people to wonder how I can have a career in music at all! So, I respectfully decline to answer.

BTW, these are my personal preferences on how I choose the artists I listen to, and not intended to spark a discussion about the merits of anyone I didn't mention. One look at my CD wall would tell anyone what a diverse amount of music I have in my collection. Who else has Fad Gadget, Percy Faith, Faith No More, The Fall, Fatboy Slim, Filter, Ella Fitzgerald, The Fixx, Fleetwood Mac, Flo & Eddie, Foo Fighters, Four Tops and Aretha Franklin together on one shelf? :)

Bermuda