View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X22 View Post
I agree. Now that Zappa is no longer alive, I can't think of anyone having to play the variety of styles that you are required to play.
Certainly not in one night or on one album, no.

Quote:
As for your replacement, I actually think there are a lot of chameleons out there. Those of us that earned our livings doing GB work could cut it, no?
Don't know what GB is, and there are a lot of chameleons. But as I pointed out in the post above, my gig is much more than just playing drums. There are tons of players who can drum circles around me, but who could still not do my gig.

Quote:
So, I don't know if you've ever addressed it, but how DID you get the gig?
Geting the gig was easy and a chance meeting. (see www.bermudaschwartz.com/bio.htm for more details) and happened at a time when drumming skills were all I needed.

As for how I've kept the gig, it's by always rising to the occasion. Al throws all of us some new curves on each album and tour, and the only way to keep the gig is to learn and grow into the parts/techniques. So, when we did our first all-sequenced song in 1985, I bought a drum machine. When I got tired of keyboard players handling drum sounds on some of the sequenced songs, I bought a sampler. When we did a Zappa homage on 2003's "Poodle Hat", I studied every lick that Ralph Humphrey, Chester Thompson, Chad Wackerman and Terry Bozzio played, and woodshedded until they felt natural. And album after album, I've proven that I can acheive the parts - and sounds - required of me. Even when a track was originally sequenced and there was no drummer per se, I still have to take on the task.

So, basically, never saying 'no' (that is, never being afraid to say 'yes') has ensured my career with him. As I say in my bio: "Al's made me play parts I didn't know how to play."

Bermuda