View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Senior Administrator

Default Re: Donny Gruendler here!

hell of an answer donny. exactly what i was aiming for. i particularly like the first three points:

Quote:
Subdivision:
First off, I would examine the new rudiment’s rhythmic subdivision. Is it 16th notes? 8th notes? 8th note triplets or sextuplets? For the sake of this response, let’s say that this new rudiment is straight 16th notes. Wit this in mind, I will set my click track to play every 16th note subdivision.

Rhythm – play it slow to understand it properly
Secondly, I will practice this new rudiments rhythm at a very slow tempo. (Around 50-55 bpm’s with the click every 16th subdivision.) This will help me to understand the rudiments “skeleton” and shape. I will strive to line up every note of this rudiment with the click’s 16th notes. This will help with the spacing of each note, as well as my time in general. Remember, if I do not understand the rhythm – then I cannot play the pattern properly or musically. Thus, slow and steady is the key (I can always bump up the tempo later).

Motion: Preparation strokes
Once I have the previous two concepts under my belt, it would be time to examine if my motions look/feel comfortable. Are there any “preparation strokes” that will help me to play this more fluidly? (Upstrokes, down strokes and the like..) If so, I will add them now. At this point, I can now examine my body’s movement as well. Do I feel comfortable? Am I tensing up? If so, I will do my best to relax. I may stay at this practice point for a while...
i've got to say in particular this last one is the most interesting to me as i have often learned a rudiment on a pad at a slow tempo but then battled to move beyond that. things like ratamacues and the flam family are good examples of where thought needs to be paid about what movement and position comes before, during and after each stroke of the piece.
the jeff queen DVD i got a couple of months ago really jumped this concept out at me and has helped alot. in some ways drumming is like playing professional pool. sinking the balls is important but making sure the cue ball ends up in a good place for the next shot is just as important.
sometimes this happens naturally as a subconscious need to be ready for the next stroke but many patterns require a conscious drilling of a movement to program the body for the higher tempos.

thanks again.
j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw