View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble View Post
I appreciate that this may be a useful belief in terms of motivation, but with all due respect it is in reality complete nonsense. There is a reason Vinnie plays like Vinnie and that no one else can or does, and it's not about how much they've practised.

In its basic conceptual form, composing music is simply writing down one note after another with different spaces of time between them. So I suppose anyone could compose like Mozart, or Chopin, or Schubert. Indeed, if you can't memorise entire musical works by age 5 on one listen, then go home and reproduce them perfectly on the piano, you just haven't been practising enough.
Vinnie's not 5. Terry's not 5. I'm not 5. Suggesting that from infancy to age 5, enough practice time could be employed, or a level of comprehension could be achieved in order to compose, is ridiculous.

However, although you were just making an example, you're right - "composing music is simply writing down one note after another with different spaces of time between them. So I suppose anyone could compose like Mozart, or Chopin, or Schubert". In theory - and PLEASE re-read my post where I initially said that word - that's true. Granted, levels of creativity vary for different reasons, but it certainly can be done.

And that's what I was saying about drumming. Can any of us move our sticks and feet in the same way that Vinnie and Terry etc do? With enough practice, yes. Could we create like them? Possibly not. As I said above, levels of creativity vary for different reasons.

there's also an issue of dedication. Do I carry sticks with me EVERYWHERE, like Vinnie does? Nope. That's the first sign that I'm not as dedicated as him, and therefore not ready to play like him. But, if I started carrying sticks and using them at every waking moment - dinner table, etc - that would be a step in the right direction.

Bermuda