View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Dave Black passed away today...

Im a little slow at reading some of the articles in Drummerworld. I was cruising thru the bio's of drummers when I came upon a familiar name...Dave Black. It was back in the 80's when I had the very good fortune to meet him and his lovely wife in San Francisco. I knew his son, Brtitley, ( my wife and Britley worked at an Insurance company together and I got to know him quite well. He played drums in a band called "Crime" and being a struggling drummer myself we were instant friends). One afternoon I was picking up my wife from her work and Britley's parents were ther visiting him. I had no idea who his father was at the time, when he introduced me I was in a state of shock to say the least. My parents had a lot of Duke Ellington music around the house and although I wasn't into that genre of music I heard it a lot and really learned a lot from it (albeit unknowingly). Needless to say I was in awe!! We talked for a good while at the office and somehow, I think it was my wife that invited them over to our house for coffee and cake. They were very nice and said yes. I was in shock again!! We lived in an old Victorian on Hayes street on the bottom floor. I had converted the back bedroom into a studio for me and my bandmates to practice in. My kit was set up in there all the time. When he saw my set he was amazed at how nice of shape it was in. It was a 1979 Pearl Export kit I had restored. He said that Britley's kit was in horrible shape and he'd wished he would take better care of his equipment, we both laughed. I asked if he would like to play them, and low and behold he said "YES". I was in shock again...this time I had goosebumps and the hair on the back of my neck was standing on end. At this time I didn't ask him how old he was but he was probably in his late 60's. He played my kit better than I ever did when I was younger. He showed me a few things that I didn't think were possible. My kit was a single bass kit with a double bass pedal. His feet were so fast I was just amazed. He even played my Hi-Hat stand...from the pedal all the way to the clutch and back down again. Now I know nobody had ever done that before. I was smiling so hard my cheeks hurt. I only saw him once or twice after that (he was really busy then). Anyway... to make a short story long...I was really said to hear of the passing of such a great man, not to mention a really great musician. My wife passed away some years ago now, and I'm sure he missed his wife as much as I did mine. It was sad to hear that Britley had passed away also, but now that he has passed they are all together now in a much better place and my wife is probably serving them coffee and cake again as well!! Thanks Dave and we will always miss you terribly!!!! GOD SPEED!!

Last edited by Cochise McBain; 01-15-2007 at 05:17 PM. Reason: because Im a better drummer than a writer