View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 10:10 PM
Womble

Default Re: The legendary Steve Gadd.

Well thanks, Cuauhtemoc, but judging by your previous musings on Gadd it wasn't you I was expecting to upset with my 50 Ways question; some others on this forum tend to be a little, how shall we say...reactionary. I was pleased yesterday to see a post from Nutha J telling people they don't have to put IMO or even worse IMHO every time they write something, because that trend was getting out of hand. I've even seem some people rubbish their own opinion before they express it!

I'm also glad to see others having problems with getting quotations to work. Those damn things seem to have a mind of their own.

You're totally right, DogBreath. And I think that's my problem with it. If I'm completely honest, I think no matter how much I love drums, my priorities lie with the other components of music: melody, harmony, lyrics etc (I've been a pianist a lot longer than a drummer). There was a time I loved drum solos for drum solos' sake, now I prefer them short and sweet and to make sense within the music. Nor am I interested in the minutiae of drumming, you know, how someone sets up, how they tune their drums, what cymbals they use, all things like that...it just doesn't do it for me. And so I can't help wanting drum parts to fit around the song, not the song around the drum part. You've hit the nail on the head there.

Womble