View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
Im sorry to have to say this, but I really dont like this kit.

Sure it looks and sounds nice, but ironwood is extremelly rare and I wonder what concequences this drum kit has had on the enviroment. Ironwood is well conserved and there is a limit to how much can be harvested, so has this wood been imported illegially?

Im sorry if I am wrong, and would be happy if you could enlighten me as to how this wood was obtained. Most companies that offer rare woods (pearl, tama etc) have policies that work hand in hand with wood conservationists.

Again, im sorry if im ranting, and im sure that this is a great kit. I just guess im getting old.........
Who told you ironwood was "extremely rare"? It it is not extremely rare (well, maybe for drums). In some areas, ironwood is quite common. If you don't like this kit because of how it was made, here is some more information:

You ask a perfectly fair question. Overlogging is a big environmental issue worldwide. This kind of wood is found only in Queensland, in an area about the size of Texas in north Australia.

Australia has very stringent environmental laws and does regulate timber cutting. A 2002 government report found "currently timber harvesting of native forests in the Northern Territory is a very minor industry operating at low levels ... ironwood harvesting is likely to always be only a local small-scale operation" (http://www.affa.gov.au/corporate_doc...wood_in_NT.pdf, see page 129). The report does make clear, however, that overharvesting has occured in the past, particularly with white settlement in the 1860s.

A certain amount of ironwood is allowed to be harvested to support the people and towns in an area. Most of the ironwood gets turned into fence posts and railroad ties and decks and a tiny bit gets turned into very high-value items like musical instruments (flutes, guitars, drums) and sculptures.

Ironwood leaves and suckers are extremely poisonous to cattle and must be cleared from areas where ranching is permitted. (But if someone is a vegetarian, they probably won't view ranching as a good thing to begin with.)

Obtaining ironwood is very difficult as the area where it grows is primarily wild (see www.spritdrums.com for an explanation). So far, only about a dozen Spirit kits have been made, although many djembes, congas and snares have been made. They talk about their harvesting on their Web site with photos and say they purchased for licensed cutters. I take them at their word.

Spirit drum makers do all their manufacture locally, using local labor and fabrication for their hardware, and the money for the kit directly supports their families and local merchants. So this kit was made in a socially sustainable way, not just an environmentally sustainable way.

I'm curious now - what do you play with, and what do you know about how it was made?