Thread: Vinnie Colaiuta
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlehnertz View Post
I can understand why he'd say that Gadd wasn't an influence. He really wasn't listening to anything Gadd was playing...

I'm still thinking about the Gadd/Zappa thing. Could he be making fun of studio musicians in general (i.e. Yo Cats)? Or Vinnie wanting to be studio player (clone) LIKE Gadd? I've heard different spins on that.
On the first part, I know Vinnie was digging Gadd by 1978 (at the beginning of his time with Zappa), because if you watch the video clips jonescrusher posted above, you can see Vinnie is wearing a Stuff t-shirt, which was Gadd's defacto NYC club band back then. So he definitely knew of and was seriously checking out Gadd's work back then..

And as to what regard Zappa held Gadd in, who the heck knows... he makes no intonation one way or the other on Green Rosetta. My guess is that Frank had nothing against Steve musically or personally, except for the fact that he was literally all over the place at the time and thus was an easy target for any kind of jabs, good or bad.

But I haven't heard any spins on Frank's views on this topic either way, so please divulge--