Thread: Vinnie Colaiuta
View Single Post
  #227  
Old 11-13-2006, 07:32 AM
finnhiggins's Avatar
finnhiggins finnhiggins is offline
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,430
Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

Quote:
Originally Posted by syoshii View Post
Or maybe his unfriendliness came from his thought about those clinics. When I talked w/ Vinnie about 2 years ago he told me he didin't like a clinic with a large audience (just like Zildjian Days) because it's more like a show than a clinic. He said he wanted to do a real clinic, with a small group of serious students only. He was even thinking about doing a clinic at high school.
I can totally understand that. I've actually been discussing this exact point today with Jazzgregg, off-forum. I think in general there's only really three kinds of clinics:

1) Clinics given by people who can't speak in public, but try anyway. These usually suck, because while the drummer (or any other musician, for that matter) might have a lot to say they're really unsuccessful at saying it, and any time they spend off the kit is really just time wasted.

2) Clinics given by people who can speak in public, but different audience members are either bored (if they're any good) or completely lost (if they're not) depending on whether the clinic is being pitched at a simplistic or advanced level. These stand the best chance of being any good depending on who you are and what's being pitched, but even then you have to tolerate horrible, horrible Q&A sessions where audience members ask questions that make you want to cry tears of rage at their sheer pointlessness.

3) Clinics given by people who just shut up and play. These are fine in that they don't suffer the problems of the other two kinds of clinic, but generally speaking I'd rather hear most drummers play with a band anyway. It's not like I have trouble hearing drums, and there are very few drummers I can think of that I'd be willing to watch play unaccompanied for hours. And if somebody's just going to play to a backing track I'd rather have the band there anyway.

I can totally understand why Vinnie wouldn't enjoy the environment. He's either going to have to dumb down what he has to say to a stupendous degree (the number of people on the planet who can even figure out what the hell Vinnie is talking about when he gets going on a topic he finds interesting has to be pretty small), talk to 1% of the room about stuff that the other 99% are going to totally miss the point of or play things that he'd rather be playing in a musical situation. Why do it?
__________________
www.drumlessons.co.nz - Online lessons, columns and more...
Reply With Quote