View Single Post
Old 11-11-2006, 08:12 PM

Default Re: The legendary Steve Gadd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
Whoa! Slow down there, cowpoke. Look, Gadd is a fantastic "odd-time" percussionist, but there's alot of these guys out there, buddy. Have you ever heard Weckl, Colaiuta, Steve Smith, Peart, Jo Jo Mayer, Copeland, Cobham, Greb., etc... Having Gadd as your favorite drummer is fine, he's probably alot of peoples' favorite, but to hold him "higher than thou" is a bit of a stretch. I LOVE Steve Gadd, don't get me wrong, but the only one I consider on a pedestal from all others is Buddy Rich, though not with us any longer. I may even get some flack for saying that here, but I can't waver from feeling that way about Rich!

Play On!
Oh and another ting, I REALLY didnt want to say it loudly but you mentioned ODD-TIMES.

OK believe me or not the odd-time signatures originally come from the bulgarian folklore. IT IS TRUE. Modern bg folklore musician play odd-times the traditional old-facion way.

This has nothing to do with Gadd but still-listen to some great bands-"Stoyan Yankoulov and Elitsa Todorova"(friends of mine and the best drummers here is Bulgaria) and Bulgara(a jazz-folklore band-also friends of mine because of my father-he is the best kaval teacher in the world, really!!!)

I didnt mean to boast myself or my countrys musiciants, I just want to share some great learning material to the rest of you drummers!!!

See the two bands, you can learn much from them!!!

Have fun :) !!!