View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 05:56 AM

Default Re: DRUM INSTRUCTION DVD & BOOK REVIEWS

NAME:
Drum set warm-ups

STAR RATING:
# # # #

TARGET AUDIENCE:
Pretty much anyone who happens to play drums...

PUBLISHED BY:
Berklee Press

DESCRIPTION:

I love drum books. I bought this one without even being sure I'd be using it. Warm-Ups ? There is so much to learn, and I never feel I have enough time to practice... My idea of warming-up is just starting slowly. But a complete book of warm-ups drills ? The book stayed beside my drum kit for a few weeks before I decided to give those exercises a try.

Well, I love it.

It is divided into 34 lessons. Each of them is based on a theme, usually a sticking, or grouping combination. Each lesson has many exercises that will make you move around the set in every possible ways. None of the exercises are written in a musical perspective. However, I find plenty of new ideas while doing them, because some of them are so unusual. And each lesson (sadly) reveals a weakness of mine I often never suspected.

There is a subtitle : Essential exercices for improving technique. I think it is more appropriate. I never use it as a warm-up. And there a small comment from Ron Spagnardi as this book being the "stick control for the drum set". While this may be a bit of a reach, It is indeed written in a similar format, and I now think it is a very good book. Pretty inexpensive as well.