View Single Post
Old 10-07-2006, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetik
Spectacular!

That kit is reminiscent of the heavy shelled power-depth Sonors of the 80's. Very imposing look. I can only imagine the deep thunder of those drums.

There is a kind of a mystique there, because AFAIK, no one else makes Ironwood shells. You have a kit even more exculsive than a Brady.

The fiberskyn FA and percussion bits really add to a "Earth sounds*" personality for the kit.

The only thing I'd like to see if a pic that has more intense lower lighting. The wood has a cherry-like color.

Great stuff!
* Yes, I was digging the Terra Sonus Sound clips.
Well, i never thought of them as "imposing," but now that I step back from it, the deep shells and raw finish do give them an imposing attitude.

I would have actually preferred a 20 inch bass drum, but those are extremely hard to get, even by Spirit Drum standards. The logs must be 22 inches, which means they literally weigh tons if you can find them. But even the 18 inch drum sounds resonant, thick and punchy.

You are perceptive to notice how the Fiberskyns add to the persona of the set. The shells and lug style give it a primitive quality and the Fiberskyns accentuate that.

You are right about the sound - it is thunderous. It dominates the entire house and I have to be careful when I play; ideally, when no one else is home.

The shells with RIMS hardware in total weigh around 100 pounds for the set of six drums. Add in the DW 9000 series stands and it's a workout to move. I like to lift heavy objects, however, and I need to lose weight more than the drums do.

www.terrasonus.com