View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Phil Maturano here!

Welcome Phil. I just started working on your book Latin Soloing for Drumset again. I've had it for a couple years and use it as a reference when I get stuck in a rut. Your playing is awesome and I really appreciate the exercises in that book a lot. It's great to have someone like you on the forum since to my knowledge there is no one else at your level of expertise with an open thread as of yet. Again thank you and welcome!

P.S.

Okay I also have a question regarding the clave. When I first started listening and playing Afro-Cuban music I was very much an outsider. In the last 6 or so years I've listened, played and really tried to internalize the clave. I know in the folkloric stuff I've done, clave is very important. My question for you is this: As a kit player in a less traditional setting, how strictly do you apply clave? For instance in a Latin-Jazz setting, playing with non-percussionists who have only a peripheral understanding of Afro-Cuban music, do you stick to the clave all the time, or do you just follow the music and check in with the clave from time to time?

I hope that reads okay (it's early)

Oh, one more thing... Have you met or played with a percussionist named Chris Trujillo? He's a timbalero from LA, but now lives in the Southwest. Just curious.

Thanks Again!

Last edited by Garvin; 09-29-2006 at 04:40 PM.