Thread: David Garibaldi
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 05:03 AM
bjeanes

Default Re: david garibaldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNut
I totally agree with all this. He does look apathetic when playing his awesome stuff.
I was fortunate enough to catch Tower of Power in 1973, 74, & 75 in both concert and club situations (a gig I had then in a strip/show joint was across the street from a large rock club they owned as well, & it was managed by a former very fine--and very nitpickey--guitarist who directed the bookings.) Thus, he was able to get up & coming or even established acts on their way to or from their major shows because of the club's "stateline" location. The payoff was in the publicity. That way, such acts as Elvin Bishop, Brian Auger, Cold Blood, Eddie Money, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Gino Vanelli, etc. (and Tower of Power) made sometimes many appearances in the club as they crisscrossed the area. And lucky me, because of my work schedule (which sometimes entailed 30 minute breaks between shows to "empty & refill the house"), I got to shoot acroos the street & catch these artists in a much more intimate setting than a concert arena. And for free. And none were as breathtaking as Tower live when they were in their prime. Some say Dave Garibaldi looked "apathetic" in the midst of the TNT those guys laid down... maybe so, but then so did Bruce Conte & Steve Kupka & Francis Rocco Prestia. Anything but apathy came out of their respective instruments. And that's what counts.