Thread: Virgil Donati
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 07:25 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Virgil Donati is the Buddy Rich of our time ("IMO"...I suppose)

Quote:
Can you explain to me why Donati's parts would be excellent if you programmed them instead of him playing them? That's what I mean about poor part selection. If it wouldn't be impressive as drum programming, why would a metronomic live performance suddenly make it that much better? If it would be impressive as programming work (where co-ordinational challenges don't apply, so we don't have to worry about how hard he's worked on that), I'm obviously missing it and need you to explain to me what's so profound about it.

I'm really not sure what you're getting at here...I guess in a way you could argue any drummers parts would be excellent if programmed...I would much much rather have Virgil playing the parts...If it wasn't him playing it, it just wouldn't be the same in the slightest...He gives the notes life, power, musicality, dynamics, everything they need to make him sound the way he does, which to me is very distinct...You can't give a computer his feel, or anticipation of time and groove...

I mean would you want to hear this programmed instead of him playing it?
http://www.virgildonati.com/videos/h...nd92304_02.wmv

He is adding so much color, flavor, and raw emotion to compliment the keyboardists solo, while keeping perfect time, something a computer could never capture...They just look like they are having so much fun, feeding off one another...True showcase of musicianship IMO...