Thread: Virgil Donati
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 12:34 PM
Thinshells

Default Re: Virgil Donati is the Buddy Rich of our time ("IMO"...I suppose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticktrick
OK maybe your right about the reading. I thought as a big band drummer he had to read a lot, cause thats standard. Also I know the drummer of his band very well since I took lessons with him (Tony Insalaco - great guy and great drummer). He can read about anything at sight and said he learned that in buddys band. (you have to know that buddy was the leader of the band and didnīt play the drums himself on all tunes. he would usually have someone else play and only come up to solo). So maybe he could read, but he didnīt do it because he had such a good memory that he could easily remember all the hits.

Still my point that the comparison is an insultion (big time) is untouched by that.
As far as I could tell from watching him and reading about him, he had a photographic memory for music and a incomperable feel. There are a few tunes that he really overdid it, burying the tune under too much drumwork. (IE Birdland)

But it's not an insult to compare them. As Nutha Jason pointed out, it's like comparing painters. Both masters of thier own genre. Claude Monet was no Rembrandt, and vice versa.