Thread: Mike Portnoy
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Mike Portnoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
I think this is a problem you're more likely to encounter on a Neil Peart or Mike Portnoy thread because so many people feel the need to laud them as technical gods above all others. Clearly there are choppier, more complex drummers out there than either, but I don't think chops or complexity are the measure of a drummer at all.

If you like Portnoy or Peart for what they do, that's grand. I don't think either of them come close to being any kind of apex for complexity, technicality etc. even in a rock music context, although they're both very solid drummers who do their thing very effectively. So really it's a matter of taste. Neither of them are exactly up my alley, although if I had to choose I'd probably go with Peart as he's at least a little closer to what I enjoy in drumming.
You are correct. There are drummers out there that are better than both of them in every aspect. But what does that mean? If you dont like them ( not you in particular )
thats totaly fine. We are all entitled to our oppinion. Personally, I am not a big fan of Tre Cool or Barker like alot of people are, but I would not go to their thread and say so. What would that do? Like it or not Peart has influenced many, many drummers including Portnoy. I dont see the point in discrediting him for what he has done with drums that makes us know who he is in the first place just because there are better drummers. If thats the case, from what I read, every drummers favorite drummers should be ( for the most part ) Gadd, Coliauta, Lang, Chambers, Weckel and Donati. And a hand full of others.

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com