Thread: Neil Peart
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Neil Peart

Maybe I should change what I said in the first thing I posted. I said I thought 1 in 5 Berklee grads could do everything that Neil Peart could do. I wouldn't be a bit surprized if that many really can play all the stuff that he plays, but I also wouldn't be a bit surprized if they aren't nearly as good at actually coming up with the stuff in the first place. So in that sense they can't do all that he can do because coming up with it in the first place is something that he does. I don't know much about the history of drumming, but again, I'm skeptical when people say that he did stuff in the ' 70's that nobody had done before. A fair amount of what I've heard doesn't sound all that more amazing than things big band drummers did a long time before and didn't Billy Cobham do a bunch of similiar amazing stuff in the ' 70's? Again, big band jazz and what Billy Cobham was doing are not rock, so there is a difference. And I like I said, I can't claim to know a huge amount about the history and development of all that stuff.