Thread: Neil Peart
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2006, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by the skin man
Drummers like Dennis Chambers, Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Adam Nussbaum, Chad Wackerman and Jack DeJohnette completely and totally blow Neil Peart away. It doesn't matter if they're not rock drummers and he is. Neil Peart has to be one of the most overrated drummers of all time. I'd bet at least one in five drummers that graduates from the Berklee of music every year can do everything that Neil Peart can do including the odd time. The only difference is he's in huge band that's been huge for a long time and they're not.
In what way are you talking about? Speed? Jazz? There are guys, Grant Collins, Bozzio, Thomas Lang and Bobby Rock to name a few that probably have greater four way independence than most of who you mentioned. What does that mean? Do they blow away everyone you mentioned? No. They are all good at what they do.
Neil is my second favorite drummer after Gregg Bissonette. Some like Gregg and some may not be fans. I think in a Jazz setting Gregg has more experience and would be a better candidate in that situation over Neil but I dont like him any less because of it. Neil may not do it for you, but to say he is overrated, you have to remember that drummers wanted to be Neil, just as much as drummers want to be Dennis, Dave and Vinnie.

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com