View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Is Buddy Rich REALLY the greatest drummer of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I'm so into this response. Right on.
Thanks, Watso. Obviously Buddy was an amazing drummer, and I hope no one thinks I was trying to put him down or anything like that. But you have to admit, some of these over-the-top accolades begin to sound more like "legend" than reality. Of course, I know a few of these were meant to be funny.

Just for the record, my two favorite drummers are Vinnie Colaiuta and Gavin Harrison. I can watch either of them for hours on end. But every time I watch a Buddy Rich video, after 5 minutes I've had enough. That's not to say that he's not a great drummer, it's just that his style of playing doesn't really resonate with me. If he resonates with anyone here, great. By all means, watch him and say how great he is to your heart's content. Everyone is going to have a different favorite drummer, and everyone is entitled to their favorites.

I guess what irks me is the notion that Buddy is, was, and will always be the greatest of all time, period. That kind of thinking is very closed minded, like you're just supposed to "accept" that as fact, and anyone who questions it be damned. I'm the kind of person who likes to question things and come up with my own conclusions.

And my conclusion is that there isn't a greatest of all time. No one, not Buddy, not Vinnie, not Neil, not Gavin, nor anyone else can claim that title. As others have mentioned (and as I've alluded to), there's really no way to objectively measure who's the greatest, so no one really can be.

But if anyone wants to say that Buddy was the GOAT, I'm not going to argue with you or try to talk you out of it. Just as I'm entitled to my opinion, you are entitled to yours.