View Single Post
Old 06-11-2006, 07:59 PM

Default Re: The Reverand (Avenged Sevenfold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops4kicks
This is the stupidest comment I've seen on this forum. He brings great fills with uniqueness and flare to genre not just constant buzz rolls down the line. And who says you have to know about jazz to be a good hardcore drummer. Roy Haynes is one of the best jazz players out there and i don't see him busting out 32nd note double bass beats, because he plays JAZZ not hardcore. The Rev plays whats good for the genre which most of the time doesn't have anything to do with jazz.
I'd first like to thank you for bashing my comment. As I've mentioned before, Blake Richardson of Between the Buried and Me displays a great knowledge of other types of drumming. I have Alaska, and I have heard City of Evil, and there is no doubt in my mind that Richardson is a better drummer. Although I prefer Between the Buried and Me to Avenged Sevenfold (whom I do not listen to), I am much more impressed with Richardson's ability to to incorporate other styles of music into his own. For example, the song "Laser Speed" by Between the Buried and Me is a Latin composition. I am not comparing The Reverand to any Jazz musicians, nor do I think he should play jazz for Avenged Sevenfold, but he does not bring anything new to Hardcore drumming; he simple rehashes what other Hardcore drummers have already done. Blake Richardson, however, along with Between the Buried and Me, seem to have revolutionized Hardcore.

- Marc