Thread: Vinnie Colaiuta
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2006, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Vinnie Colauita

Quote:
Originally Posted by toteman2
Yeah, I doubt the majority of the audience knew anything about drumming that night. I mean, why would a buch of drummers show up at that concert? Obviously they were only cheering because Vinnie is just all speed.

Vinnie and "lack of creativity"? I find it amazing that those would be words to describe him. What a wide world of drumming we live in.
If the audience was full of drumming guru's then they would've cheered all of the drummers just about equally.

When it comes to Vinnie's lack fo creativity I'm talking specifically about his solos. For the most part I hear a continuous pattern of quick rolls all over the place. I cant hear many note variations or a strong use of other rudiments in his solo's.....little diversity I guess is what i'm trying to say. Maybe you have a better ear than I do and there are subtleties in Vinnie's solo's that I dont notice, but I still don't like the way he plays.

The difference between Gadd's and Vinnie's solos are that Gadd solo's have a oddity to them while maintaining a sound "feel", they're actually somthing I can internalize and admire. With Vinnie, I just cant really admire his style of soloing like I can with most other drummers. So I guess we are arguing a difference of tastes. And i'll admit that like everyone els, I can be biased towards things I dont like:-)