Thread: Neil Peart
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
But if you make a statement that saying every 1 out of 5 drummers from Berklee or any music school can do what he does, just sounds like you are discrediting his playing and that any drummer can be just as good, just because they went to music school.
When I say 1 out of 5, that is just a very vague general impression. I'm no expert, and I don't claim to know with any certainty. What I do seem to notice is that jazz drummers routinely do stuff of greater technical virtuosity and these are drummers that aren't even well known among other jazz drummers. I wouldn't be a bit surprized that if some audition were held for a Rush cover band in which the drummer was required to replicate Peart's playing, huge numbers would just nail it cold. And if it were 1 in 5, then 4 times as many wouldn't nail it than would. Maybe one area where people would have a tough time would be the solos. I don't think this URL has been posted on this thread yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfNpA...rch=neil+peart

If it was, my mistake. Obviously, there's a bunch of impressive things happening there and I don't think it makes sense to say that being able to do that is just a basic of requirement of being a trained drummer.