Thread: Alex Riel here!
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Default Re: Alex Riel here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgregg
I have a question, don't know if you can answer it, Alex. What's with those 2004 Steeplechase releases? Are they re-releases or unheard stuff? Man, don't tell me (or my wallet) I'm missing some of your playing! I checked them with all my Steeplechase stuff and although they have the same material, I don't know if it's previously released or alternate versions/dates.

Also wanted to mention I landed a copy of your trio CD and as usual, it was tasteful, warm and wise. Your cymbals, also as always sound beautiful. I take it you're using basically the same set up as you've outlined in this thread? I hear that flat, for sure. I really especially liked the originals (and the cover photo!)

Gregg
Hey Gregg,
Sorry about the late response.

About the SteepleChase 2004 recordings: I'm pretty sure that the Dexter Gordon releases called "Heartaches", "Misty" and "Loose Walk" are all unheard stuff. And I think that maybe there's one or more with Kenny Dorham as well ...
To be absolutely sure you may have to ask SteepleChase though.

Thank you for your kind words on the trio cd - and the photo!!! Great to hear that you like it. Did you hear the ghost track?
And you're right about the cymbals ... they are the same ones as I've mentioned before. Just got a new (old!) Paiste 602 20" flat ride by the way. Excellent!!

What else can I tell you .... just got sent a copy of a new cd I did with the fabulous Phil Woods and a Danish alto sax player called Benjamin Koppel. Good stuff! It's called "Pass The Bebob" (released on my record company Cowbell Music).
Also, Copenhagen Jazzfestival is coming up next month and I'm looking forward to playing with PAT METHENY in the Tivoli Gardens. I'll also have the pleasure to play with the wonderful singer Lisa Nilsson (whom OZjazzer has mentioned in this thread), a great fusion group called "Santa Cruz", my own trio ... and a bunch of other nice people!

Best wishes
Alex

PS: my web site should be updated soon.