Thread: Tony Williams
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Tony Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Is Red Alert off of the Angel Street??
I don't have the LP anymore, and I don't think its in print on CD. I'm going to keep checking EBay.
Was just listening to the 'Angel Street" cd the other day. It's out of print?!!! Can't believe it! I was fortunate to see that lineup of Tony's quintet live a couple of times. Fantastic band. I truly feel blessed. Mulgrew, Bill and Wallace just blast through the fog! I was always impressed by the way Tony approached his late compositions. Think about it. Here's a guy who had honestly earned his reputation as one of the greatest (if not maybe THE greatest) drummers in history, but was himself disatisfied with his lack of understanding as regards musical theory and academic training in composition. So what does he do? He goes back to school and works hard. Forgot who his composition professor was, but it was a person of note and great reputation. The results were 'Angel Street', "Native Heart' (my favorite), 'Wilderness' et al. A stunning career, indeed.

It's often said that people remember where they were, and what they were doing, when they hear the news of some momentous event (like Kennedy being killed, or more recently, 911). I remember hearing of Tony's untimely death on a late afternoon broadcast on NPR. I just couldn't believe it. I still can't.