Thread: John Bonham
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 04:05 PM

Default Re: John Bonham

Hey, here's another transcription I'd like to share. It's the first chorus of "I Can't Quit You, Babe" from Coda.

This has always been my favorite recording of the tune and in just the first chorus it shows most of Bonham's signature slow blues phrasing style: broken trips in the bass, subdividing the 8th note into 2s and 3s, extended phrase ending fills, great sound and great rhythm. One thing he doesn't do in the first chorus that he does on other tunes is keep the 8th note pulse going with his foot during extended fills. Other than that, it's got alot of the Bonham spice.

I don't think there's tab out for this particular recording (maybe there is), so that's another reason I thought it would be nice to share it.

I excitedly picked this album up when I was in high school when it originally came out on vinyl. That release of the album attributed this tune to a sound check before a gig. Until it was corrected recently to be attributed to an actual concert at Royal Albert Hall (and is included in the DVD boxed set), I had always thought, "Damn, for a sound check, these guys are really leaving it all on the bandstand!" Who knows? They probably did play soundchecks like that.

ICantQuitYouBabe.pdf