Thread: This is Cool
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 03:24 AM
Renegade

Default Re: This is Cool

Dark matter and dark energy don't fit our current definitions of matter. We don't know what they are. If we know 5% of something then maybe we should not be too sure of our notions of reality.

Not that I was trying to be particular when wondering about "non-material forces" projecting to the surface of a holographic universe. The point I (hitherto forlornly) tried to make was that if the galaxies all lie on the surface of a sphere, and we're on the surface of the sphere, then there's got to be something in the middle, doesn't there? There's an outside, there's an inside. Stands to reason. And if there is something inside the sphere, you can be sure that its goings on will affect what happens on the surface.

That's all I was trying to say the first place but triggered your tribal atheist reflex :). The irony is, I wasn't trying to make a statement of fact. Just wondering about the possible dynamics of holographic theory, a theory I never cared for anyway.

As for the living room analogy, it reminds me of the "what is an object?" riddle raised in philosophy forums. In the end they drill down to objects being only a construct of our minds, with the delineation between "object" and "environment" being arbitrarily affected by our mammalian senses. And so on.

You could say the same thing about life. In fact, you can say it about anything, and the final upshot would be nothing is real but thinking makes it so. Or on the other hand you could say that human constructs are as much a part and expression of the universe as much as anything else.

Life is different to an architectural plan in the same way that evolution is different to creationism. One is static and the other dynamic. That makes all the difference because life is nothing if not a metabolism, which is a temporary, dynamic, self-sustaining set of processes (all of which can theoretically be described by algorithms) - gathering, processing and outputting energy and information. Nothing controversial about that.

Musos have a long history of being amateur philosophers. If we're going to do something that is basically a celebration of being alive, it's no surprise that a lot of us will sometimes think about what we're actually celebrating :)

Soundcloud stream