View Single Post
Old 06-14-2014, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Anybody else who doesn't care about the World Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
My favourite was taking out a winger in full flight down the touch line with a twenty yard run-up.
I played one game in school, picked as a prop. I can't remember the coach ever really doing any work on scrums in training so none of the front row had much of a clue. During, the game the ref soon changed it to uncontested scrums. Disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFiore View Post
Well, if I really like something, I'd rather do it myself instead of watching other people do it. For example, I've been a competitive distance runner for years. I very much enjoy the sport but I have minimal desire to turn on the TV and watch other people run.

I'm not saying people shouldn't, just that I don't understand the basic urge and I particularly don't understand the almost pathological zeal that some people express. To twist an old saying:

Those who can, do. Those who can't, watch it on TV!
Those who can also watch sport in large numbers. As well as those who don't. Personally, I wouldn't view distance running as a great spectator sport and it's not represented on TV as much as popular team games as a result.

There's a big emotional buzz involved in watching sport and the highs and the lows that come with following it. Doesn't even have to be a local team or your own country you're watching. It can be highly enjoyable watching the best of the best go compete against each other.