View Single Post
Old 05-16-2014, 06:27 AM
Renegade

Default Re: Drummers who've inspired your playing

I love the playing of many drummers who are too advanced or different to be much of an influence. Like everyone, you learn things from all sorts of players in all sorts of situations. I guess these have turned out to be the main ones, but if I got in a different band and jam buddy I'd have to draw from other players:

Ringo - especially hihat style with timekeeping and fills
Charlie - keeping it simple
Moonie - jamming mayhem
Mitch Mitchell - ditto
John Densmore - structured but a bit jazzy
Karen Carpenter - light and flowing
Bonzo - hard groove
Bernard Purdie - everything
Steve Gadd - ditto
Jim Hodder - ditto

Also Meg White on occasion. Yep, Meg. She reminded me of Paul Motian interviews where he said if the time is in the room you hardly need to play anything, and hearing Meg helped me understand how the simplest playing can work in some circumstances and it wasn't important to be "impressive" if the music works. I like the trashiness of it all too.

Re: minimalism, there was a Bill Bruford interview where he talked about when he first jammed with bassist, Tony Levin. Bill noticed that Tony wasn't playing much. He figured that Tony was asking him to give him more, so his drumming became even more complex and lively. Tony backed off even more. At that point Bill realised that the more he played, the less Tony would play, and he learnt something.

That lesson has been useful to me too. In hobby bands people sometimes overplay (after all, it's about having fun) and sometimes the whole thing sounds better when you back off and let them wank on for a bit.

Interviews from top players influence me a lot, as well as plenty of people here. I learned a fair bit from drum teachers in my handful of lessons too.

YouTube

Off-the-wall