View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Yamaha Multipad revised

I sent this to a Yamaha DTX guy at Yamaha USA, I hadn't actually read that some of this stuff is actually onboard already at the time, I have a DTX multi on the way secondhand, looking forward to getting into it and selling my octapad which I have become frustrated with due to the lack of layering and options in comparison to what I felt could be achieved, it seems the DTX will serve my purpose

Heres my ideas!

A Mac and PC editor like the roland ones, also maybe an app for iPad/iphone that allows complete control over all the internal settings, parameters etc with a blue tooth link built into the DTX unit, then you can keep the screen small but we can use a larger iPad screen to make all the adjustmentsÖ.everyone is doing it, my current band use a mackie mixer that we can control our monitor mixes and other things from our iPhones, but we need to use a wireless network, I donít want to have to worry about a wireless network on a stage with a percussion pad, maybe bluetooth would be a better solution.

The thing that Roland missed was that when they upgraded the SPD-s to the SX they took out the ability to layer sounds and have a dynamic change point, they have it on the octapad, but not the SX and Iím really annoyed as that enabled much more expressive playing, also the pads feel worse, and theres no phrase maker, they did get right the need for the separate click volume and routing to headphones and the ease of use of that feature, also those extra volume knobs on the front are easy to use and work exactly right, if the new DTX had that itíd be great.

Also, we only get so many trigger inputs on a lot of these drum pads, the SX has 2 stereo, the octapad has 4 stereo, but they donít work as separate mono trigger inputs as the rim input is crap, if there were 7 mono inputs for tom and kick triggers, a dual snare input (stereo) and two or three more for bar triggers like the Roland BT-1 then it would be a dream machine, at the moment I have to carry a TD-12 brain for triggering, an SPD-sx for samples, and if I want good dynamically accurate percussion etc I have to take an octapad, the multi 12 is on the verge of eliminating all of this by the addition of a few extrasÖ. I know this will push up the price point, but if it was an APPLE product then itíd be a no brainer and all the rest of the products would be poor substitutesÖ..

I have thought of mounting Bar Triggers on parts of the kit that can be reached by other members of a band so they can play agogo or tambourine things, maybe trigger loops that I canít get to if Iím busy, those extra trigger inputs would make that all possible while triggering my kit and playing the DTX multi as well.

The pad mute and finger style playing is brilliant and knock the Handsonic by Roland out of the park when you can combine Sampler (SPD-SX), percussion pad (octapad), trigger brain(td-12/20 etc), and handsonic style playing in one unit you will see them in every studio and theatre pit in the world, drummers would go for it Iím sure.

Rolands Sub out and Routings of the sub out and audio input are really important and useful, this could be done on any new DTX

Pitch bend as part of a pressure pad like the pad mute function would be really cool too! The handsonic has that and itís a good function though not that important.

I get my monitor mix back though my aux input then route it through to my in ears so my click from my spd is private, my monitors are well controlled etc. The sx allows for this with those seperate volume knobs. If you can make the aux input a 1/4" jack it'd be better than the current mini, but also give us a second aux in and we can add in other modules and get even more choices.

One thing that is really annoying is that the trigger parameters donít allow us to see settings for other manufacturers products, if you put in the settings for all the available yamaha pads and triggers, why not put in settings for Roland and DDrum products etc, it would only take an afternoon for someone to get hold of the other brains and percussion pads and look into it and put them into the choices of trigger inputÖ.makes sense. I have to use certain products that fit my unusual drums.

Layers on external triggers is important, the Octapad doesnít allow for layering on external sources, yet it does on internal padsÖthis may be because some pads are less accurate, but then let us have mix, crossfade, and all those other layer choices and we can get over it ourselves, Roland really dropped the ball on that, and it annoys me that I canít use a decent snare sound on the octapad because I canít layer, it just makes it dull. but also this means I can have toms that are lighter on the trigger inputs with a lighter stroke and then crossfade into a heavier tom as I hit harder, you canít do that on a real drum but it allows great possibilities on a triggered drum for unusual sounds or just great sounds. imagine if it can be done on a machine that allows for 9 or 10 external triggers! Yes itíd take a lot of processing power, but thatís easy, my Macbook pro can do much more than that and not break a sweat, if the machine is designed to be able to do all this stuff and itís hardware based rather than software based it should be a viableÖ

One of the most important things is the ease of use and playability, can I use it quickly to create great sounding parts? thatís the real key. and the kit editor on an iPad would need good design but would make a world of difference. all the editors I currently use for Roland products like the Juno keyboards, SPD, and the TD-12 are crap, difficult to use and look like an afterthought. Even the Mininova software for Novations newer keyboard is dull and poorly thought outÖMaking changes quickly can be great for getting the product more user friendly, and making changes on a gig because something isnít quite right can be good too.

If you look at the graphical interface of something like Omnisphere, the keyboard sound library and sample studio, itís been well thought out, and having a touch app that allows control over modulations and effects is brilliant, with bluetooth built in to the DTX Multi 12 the future is assured and with imagination the product would be amazingÖ.anything you think up could be allowed for in an app update and firmware update because the two would already work together!!! Imagine if you had effects parameters on x and y axis on a touch pad? even better if you can choose any parameter from any effect and put it on the iPad screen, or on sliders on screen, a graph curve, maybe then the effects part of it will come to life!
That would be truly amazing!