Thread: Random Thoughts
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
I think I preferred not being sure if serious.
I dunno, either way I find things like this entertaining. Sometimes I have conversations with my students about these sorts of things and much merriment ensues. Just forget about the nefarious plots and why people might want to do something like this and instead just look at the numbers.

Jets of these type are flying at 30,000 to 35,000 feet, typically. If they were to spray a chemical or biological agent out the back, the materials would take a very long time to reach the ground and be very widely dispersed, to the point where their concentrations would be miniscule. We're talking homeopathic sorts of dilutions. Of course, there's also the possibility that said chemical could literally be caught in the jet stream and not reach the ground until it's hundreds or even thousands of miles away. In any case, if you can come up with chemical agents that even at these tremendous dilutions are still effective, you can only imagine how strong they must be in the original (sprayed) form. What sort of protection would be required for the people loading these chemicals or even the people servicing the plane when it lands (I think we can guarantee that at least some of the spray is going to stick the plane)?

But the part that really makes me smile is that there is apparently a group of people that are smart enough to come up with these chemicals, have determined how to disperse them effectively in spite of the considerable challenges and have managed to control a huge nation-wide coverage-up. Yet, they can't seem to figure out a way to spray these chemicals without leaving huge markers in the sky that indicate they're doing so.

"That's gold, Jerry, That's gold!!"