View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Remote user trying Evans for the first time... Thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
The Evans Power Center Reverse Dot is a great sounding snare batter head. I use it on all my snare drums except two of them. They sound great live and recorded. Just recently I listened to a snare drum batter head shootout. They were testing about eight different batter heads. I believe they were using a Ludwig Black Beauty as the reference drum which was sampled by a Shure SM57. Out of all the heads that were demoed, I and several other people picked the Reverse Dot head as being in the top two or three. Most of my snare drums happen to be wooden shells of some make or another, maple, bubinga and mahogany/poplar/mahogany.

This was originally recorded in March 2008.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...+head+shootout

Dennis
Sorry to resurrect an old thread - but I was thinking of trying Evans again.

I could spot the difference between the Evans and Remo heads a mile off. I instantly knew track 3 was an an ambassador coated. Thats the one that sounds best to me. I agree with the OP that evans heads on snares just sound dull. Easy to tune, durable and consistent, but dull, dull, dull.

Whats the problem with any coating coming off anyway? I never noticed it causing a problem with the sound?