View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
So if the plastic part has absolutely nothing to do with function/tuning, and even if it fell out it would not effect the lug at all, how does that relate to " It appears its designed like this incase the barrel nut gets damaged and needing replacement."?

Without ever seeing the lug myself in person, I could tell you the plastic piece is integral to the design, LUGWIG wouldn't put it on for aesthetic purposes, my guess would be its a lug nut retainer. So, if it failed, or fell out it'd seem logical the lug nut and its performance would be effected.

If any of the drums were set up, tuned and ready to play and for some unknown reason the black plastic insert came out, the tuning would not be affected.

Now, no heads or no tension rods screwed into the barrel nuts and the plastic insert came out then the barrel nut could fall out.

I'm guessing that if one were too mess up a barrel nut, maybe stripped threads or crushed so that a tension rod could no longer be threaded in one could replace the barrel nut. This is what I was referring to when I said it was designed for below.

The barrel nut can not spin in side the lug and the plastic piece has nothing to do with this.