View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOP3RDRUMM3R View Post
Naah, now you've gone and mixed up my words to try and take what I said and make me look bad for it. And I know I should just not respond because you're obviously just looking for something to bring me down with, but maybe I'll try one more time and you'll get it. And I don't really care what you believe and what I say probably isn't going to change your mind because you don't want it changed, but you're obviously looking for a reaction and a discussion, so I'm having one with you.

I in no way said that just because I'm not Virgil that I'm not gonna better myself.
I'd say that 99.9% of all gigging drummers and most of the biggest names in the drum industry aren't Virgil or Mike Mangini level technically gifted. You don't need those kind of chops for most gigs and you know that and yet you're trying to put me down for saying I'm not striving to be Virgil? Sitting down behind a kit and playing the most complex thing I can think of doesn't make me nor 99% of the general public excited. It only makes the 1% of the world who enjoy crazy technical drumming excited. No one hired Dave Grohl for Nirvana because he was could play 32nd notes at 220bpm or some trivial technicality like that. They made great music because they entertained and the way they played spoke to people. It wasn't technically difficult, but it was powerful. And no, I'm not saying I'm Dave Grohl, I'm just saying your Virgil comments are completely missing the point of what music is to people and what you have to be to be successful in the music industry.

But anyway, if you want to come up with some sort of counter to that, that's fine, but there are quite a few names on the list of most well known drummers who Virgil would play circles around and that's exactly what I'm saying.

Hey man, we're not having a discussion here. You obviously know what you're doing. I was just saying I'm confused by your statement that you want to be performing and entertaining. Because in my world, when people are looking for drummers to work, they're looking for people who are actually good first. The entertaining part is a by-product of being good. I'm not going to send a sub based on his entertainment value - he has to be a player first. Your statement to me was that you're not into being a player, you want to be entertaining. So you get to book the after-party for the musicians playing on the bandstand.

That's all I'm saying. We're not talking about the same things so I couldn't possibly bring you down. Bringing you down is when I say "Two notes is two notes, man", after you say you were fired from a gig for missing two notes. If you want to be a player, I need you to be able to nail all the notes, right?