View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 12:54 AM

Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Yeah Bermuda - what the heck are we doing playing for money in front of people? That's just crazy talk! Actually having to suit up and go be perfect while on stage is just certifiable!
It's funny that you say that with so much sarcasm and disdain, when the difference between what I do and what you do is that I get paid to play live in front of people AND I get paid to make videos on YouTube, not to mention I am creating an entire brand for myself, and generating a base of people from all around the world that come out to check out different events that I play at. Marketing yourself in as many markets as possible is a key to success and is just good business sense. You may not see yourself as a business or feel you have to do any sort of work outside of just playing (and some people never do have to), but that's the reason many many many bands and people WAY more technically talented than I am, will never make it anywhere in music. It doesn't come to you, you have to go out there and get it and work for it.
This concept also applies to the person who was asking why it makes sense that Virgil Donati has so few subscribers compared to me. Virgil Donati is an absolutely incredible player and I won't be at that level anytime soon, if ever. My goal as a drummer isn't to be the most technically talented, I just want to have the most fun and entertain people. But the difference between me and him and why our social networks are so much different in size is because he only thinks about the drums. No matter how good you are, things like YouTube don't build themselves. If you don't do the work and you don't have an agent or manager or publicist doing the work for you, either, then it's not going to really go anywhere.

Since it seems to be a general dark area for anyone not involved in YouTube and I like to share what I've learned in hopes it helps others, here is a little bit about the ad side of things. There are many, many people making 6 and even 7 figure salaries a year on YouTube. I would be one of the 6 figure earners if not for a slight complication in being a music channel and the copyright issues involved with that. This is explained below:
As I stated before, the overall hours of work I've put into my channel since the beginning results in an average hourly payment of something very small, but now that I'm getting over 4 and a half million hits a month, the pay for my work is much more reasonable. If it wanted to, I could actually be making quite a large amount from YouTube, but I care more about my audience than I do money. I would be making around 12-15,000 a month if I received all of my ad revenue (Each million views is around 3-4000) , but due to the fact that I play to a lot of copyrighted tracks for my viewers entertainment instead of milking them for ad revenue with nonstop video reviews, "lessons," and other videos I own all the rights to, the majority of that goes to the record labels that own the music.
Not to mention I could be like a lot of other YouTubers in the different industries and use and promote products I don't truly believe in for monetary gain, but I don't believe in that. I could also participate in gorilla ad campaigns that pay much, much higher dividends, but I don't believe in that either, even though those aren't that bad since I'm providing people entertainment for completely free, all they have to do is watch an ad or listen to me talk about a product, it still bugs me.