View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 06:09 PM

Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
Yeah pretty much this. When a youtube drummer gets this much praise, people want to see if they deserve it. We've seen average drummers rise to youtube fame, wherever that gets them in real life I don't know but I think it's reasonable for us to find it annoying if someone is cutting the queue, I mean that annoys us in any other area of life. Imagine you have a job and some new recruit comes along and gets promoted ahead of you when you're actually better at the job, that's annoying! Or your gf leaves you for a total douche bag but everyone else thinks he's great. But life isn't fair so most of us just let it be (I do).

I watched your most recent one, your drumming is really good, looks very rehearsed. I probably look a bit anti-social when I make a video but I would rather that than your plastic smile, but hey they probably encourage you to do that stuff. Are you over-rated? Yes, but I'm sure that kind of criticism will motivate you to want to live up to your hype.
Everyone's response to what I said was very respectable and I'm appreciative of everyone who took the time to read about it from my point of view. Almost everyone's words are fair and I really do appreciate the constructive criticism, I know I have a lot of things to improve on and to hear it from those who know more than me is great, but your words really aren't as fair as everyone else's.

You look at me and my "success" as "cutting the queue," when it's the exact opposite of that. I don't believe you give me anywhere near the credit for what I have accomplished and the work I've put in. If a new recruit came into your job, took a similar job to you for WAY less money (if you divided my ad revenue from YouTube by the amount of hours I've worked to build my channel, I would be making about 10 cents an hour), and proceeded to work 16 hours a day almost everyday for a couple of years, would you say he is undeserving of the fruits of his labor just because he is younger or new?
Now I understand you probably have no idea what goes into creating a YouTube channel like mine, but in less than 3 years I have created over 500 videos, almost exclusively by myself (recording, mixing, editing, uploading, responding, etc etc etc) all while over the spring/summer/fall working 80+ hours a week at Turner Field to earn the money to pay for the gear I use in my videos and going to school and performing with Georgia State's marching band and basketball band. That has translated to way too many days where I get to sleep at 5 or 6am and wake back up at 8 or 9am to get started again. I'm not saying I'm, the only person who works their tail end off, but I am saying that if you think I haven't worked for what I've achieved and that I've cheated the system, you're off on that. Getting lucky is the only way to cheat the system. There's no substitute for hard work.

And the whole "plastic smile" is completely missing the point, too. You must not have watched much of my playing because 99.99% of the time I look constipated rather than smiling, but the times I do happen to smile, it's because I genuinely have the time of my life when I play drums and that's what I want others to have too.