View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 06:30 AM

Default Re: I think it's time we address why stock heads are so bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
It would be nice if drum companies offered an option to purchase a drum with the heads of your choice.

Say I want a 3.5x13" snare from company "X" and want an Aquarian Hi-Energy head. There is no reason that I shouldn't be able to get the drum the way I want when I order it. If Aquarian, Remo, and Evans supply heads to US makers, wouldn't it make sense for the drum manufacturers to have agreements with all 3? It should make no difference what so ever to the drum company what kind of heads the buyer wants, as they sell drums, not heads (yes I know some companies make their own heads). So wouldn't it make sense for company "X" to offer the drum I want with different head choices? It might actually make a consumer more interested in their drum if the buyer could get it the way they want instead of getting something they think they want after a head change. But then the drum may not be what they want, but how would they know if the ability to try a drum set up the way they want is not an option until after purchase?
This is what golf club manufacturers do and it's a great system. The "stock" set of clubs come with a standard shaft and grip installed (usually the most common type and stiffness of shaft and a common grip). However, you can custom order your set of clubs with a specific shaft and grip of your choice (along with some other custom options). Some optional equipment will carry an up-charge and some will not. If you have to pay more for a certain grip or shaft its usually less expensive than buying it off the shelf yourself plus its already installed so you can take your new equipment out of the box and its to your specs. I think it would be pretty easy for drum manufacturers to adopt a similar system on higher end drums made stateside. If sets are packaged in Asia it would be hard to build to custom specs and keep costs down IMO.