View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 01:42 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Raining in the UK- no s^%t, really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Yes, I was listening to a lady on the Coast to Coast radio show who explained this jet stream behavior (behaviour). She said the warming arctic slows down the jet stream and makes it more wavy. That in turn, makes weather slow down and create these polar vortexes that dive deep into the mid-latitudes. The result in N America made for one of the coldest winters in the East while we in the West had a long dry spell. So I'd imagine that's also why Greenland is getting greener and Great Britain is being soaked night and day. I don't know what the jet stream looks like over there.
Don't forget about the ocean currents either. The Gulf Stream crosses the entire ocean as the North Atlantic Drift. The warm water current actually plays a part in the weather in the UK combined with the jet stream. Since the US has Canada above us, the descending dry, cold air creates snow when it meets the wet, warm, north moving air that comes from the Pacific and the Gulf. The moisture passes through the cold air mass as it falls to the ground and we get snow. Being that the UK is an island, they don't have the massive descending dry cold air mass that we do. So their moisture makes it to the ground as rain. This is also why that, even though the UK is at a higher latitude than the US, they generally get much less snow than we do.

I am tired of the cold weather. I am ready for 100+ degree summer weather.