Most of your preferences should be available with a multipad percussion controller:
- a way to trigger drum samples that's musical.... multi-instrument sound kits?
- like dynamic range a lot.... velocity sensitive pads?
- go with a midi trigger pad unit..... pads played with sticks or hands?
- probably be using Native Instruments kits.... built-in samples or VSTs?
- costs less than $500.... check the included links
(The included questions should be considered).
Here are some links for percussion controllers: http://www.sweetwater.com/c645--Perc...s/low2high/all http://www.gearnuts.com/c645--Percus...CJtYW51IjoiIn0
You can check out a multipad comparison and reviews in this drums e-mag: http://issuu.com/digitaldrummer/docs...ber_2012_final
Also the new Alesis SamplePad Pro could provide what you want for $300, when it's released (with 32GB of SD sample memory).