View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Pros & Cons to In Ear Monitors?

I have used in ears off and on for several years. They are great in rehearsal and serve as both hearing protection and a monitor so I use them for most practice situations. Live there are two big drawbacks I have found.

The first is the time required to set them up correctly. I usually only have about 10 minutes to get all my gear on stage, get a mic check done, and make sure I am ready for the first song. I think that is pretty common for most small club and opening act shows. That leaves almost no time to unplug the on stage monitor, plug in my in ear mixer and set the levels properly. Believe me the FOH engineer doesn't have the time to do a second sound check on each instrument and vocals so I can set my levels. Its not like I have a tech setting levels for me, so once the first song starts that's it, what I got is what I got. The worst thing that can happen is the monitor is blaring and I have to pull it out to avoid hearing damage. Now I have no monitor and I am pretty much screwed for the rest of the show.

The second issue I have had is the total isolation from the rest of the band. Its like I am playing by myself to a track or something. It is really hard to explain, but it is a lot like playing behind plexiglass. With on stage monitors there is more of a sense of being with the band and the crowd.

Those are my pro's and con's. I have never played with a click, so I can't help you there, but hopefully my experience can help you decide.