Originally Posted by BFrench501
Very difficult to sum the guy up. He has endorsements from Zildjian using the super high end stuff just because of his videos. On a personal level, it seems that a lot of people can relate to him (just a kid with no money who wants to make music and has a modicum of talent).
Drumming wise he is perhaps better than me at certain things, but there are things I dislike.
1) His attitude towards certain songs. I cannot remember what video it was, but he said he covers songs where he thinks the beat is bad and wants to improve it. I don't think he understands why beats are 'simple' in some songs. I say simple because while playing 4/4 might be 'easy' if the feel isn't there it can sound completely wrong.
2) He seems to just cover what people want him to rather than spending time improving his playing. Now he's got his endorsements perhaps he needs to work a little more on progressing (unless thats part of his contract then he will be stuck in a rut for a long time).
3) Songs like 'The Pretender' do not need to be improvised, but he jams over the top of them with stuff that just does not make sense. All he has done is bastardise what is a very good drum track by Taylor Hawkins. And people still dig this stuff.
It all amounts to a point scoring exercise. I'm very glad that he got declined for America's Got Talent, his playing is not awe inspiring. Fair play to him for having a go of course...
I only look at drum covers to get a reliable guide for certain tracks I want to learn, like Superstition, I feel good etc. The only purpose Casey serves me, is to remind me that not all popular drummers are superhuman. If one things exposes his playing over anything else, it's his drum solos on his big kit. Too much trickery not enough competence for someone who gives it the beans about how great they are.
I'm envious of his endorsements, he is a lucky son of a gun. That's all that I'm envious of though...
Yeah I'm defending the guy and I don't mean to bash you
1) Link the video and I'll believe you. I've watched a ton of his videos and I can't recall him saying that.
2) I don't agree. He gets a ton of requests every day so obviously he will cover a song that someone have requested. He also covers a lot of new songs and as fast a new song hits the top 25 someone will request it.
3) Weak argument from my side here: It is his videos and his covers. Correct me if I'm wrong but you can find him just grooving behind a band live.
He might not be the worlds greatest but he is a good inspiration. He teaches the importance to practice to a metronome and he shows that it's all about having fun behind the kit.