View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFrench501 View Post
1) His attitude towards certain songs. I cannot remember what video it was, but he said he covers songs where he thinks the beat is bad and wants to improve it. I don't think he understands why beats are 'simple' in some songs. I say simple because while playing 4/4 might be 'easy' if the feel isn't there it can sound completely wrong..
You know, I never picked up on this. But you raise a very valid point......it also ties in somewhat with the point you've made in #3. I think it's a very bold call for anyone to claim to be able to "improve" (so to speak) on something that has already been declared a bona fide "hit"....or at the very least has been deemed commercially acceptable in a wider spectrum. Agree wholeheartedly that it's a claim that is in real danger of displaying a simplistic attitude to what musicality, tastefulness and restraint is all about in the first place. As a valuable DW member once correctly observed, it's akin to saying that painting a defined smile on the Mona Lisa would inherently improve on that mysterious smirk that has been obsessed over for generations. If you've truly got that much to offer.......go write your own song and show us.