View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why I play the Breakbeats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicowildcat View Post
Recently purchased a Breakbeats kit and I really like it, almost love it (still stock heads, I'm sure that will change everything). Played with the kick quite a bit, and un-muffled really seems to be the way to go...and I really recommend trying out the Vater Vintage Bomber with this kick it really makes the kick sound great. The high tom I absolutely love, I have it tuned right in the 130hz range and it's amazing. The floor tom is nice, no complaints really, just not blown away (but again stock heads).

My big issue is one that's been noted a lot, but I'm curious if anyone has found a solution for, the kick pedal chain hitting the hoop using the riser. I really don't want to cut a hole out of the hoop. I'm curious if anyone has tried that rubber bass drum lift that's on the market?

It's usable now, if you really keep the pedal back, which causes the beater to hit at more of an obtuse angle rather than around 90 where I would normally like it.

Thanks for any advice you might have.
Yeah, mine are running the stock heads and they sound great. I did replace my snare batter with a regular ambassador and am debating putting a real snare side head on it, but I'm happy with how that little kit sounds.

Now, you might not like my solution to the pedal problem, but here's what I did: I replaced the bass drum hoops with wooden ones. Pro Drum in Hollywood happened to have two wood 16" bass drum hoops, and I painted them gloss black and put them on. The pedal riser attachment now fits better (as it should) and I don't have a problem attaching my Tama Iron Cobra Jr. pedal to it and playing. I also modified the pedal riser a bit by replacing the cheap wing nuts for the height adjustment with nylock nuts and cranking it together. The riser will not come loose height-wise. And with the wood hoop, you don't really have to crank on the drumkey to attach it to the hoop. It fits as it should.

It's kind of an expensive option at $70 for the two hoops, but its the best one, I think. The cool thing with the wood hoops is that they're sized for regular tom heads - you do not have to get 16" bass drum heads with the bigger collar, a regular floor tom will do - so I guess you could consider that as a 'savings over time'.