View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Anyone else get discouraged selling on Craigslist because of all the flakes and low-ballers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobrush View Post
Absolutely. If I can go to a store that has to maintain a reputation, will have a selection of alternatives, will take a return and give a refund, has many legal and regulatory obligations, will take a credit card, honor a warranty, and provide service for a $100, why would I meet a stranger in a parking lot and give him $90 cash to never see him again? I think a lot people don't really understand everything that is in a retail price.
Similarly for ebay, although, at least many of those transactions have some reputation and return protections.
Perfectly stated. A few times I've seen clowns doing the whole "got these for x-mas, no discount, full retail, cash only... But, hey, you won't have to pay sales tax!" thing. I should start sending those idiots your statement here.

In the end, lots of folks do use the site correctly by my assessment. I've gotten some really good deals on hobby items and music gear, I just have to be really patient, and try to ignore the fools who try and charge retail. Check often and when a truly good deal comes up, take it without haggling. Everyone leaves happy.