Silver Member

Default Re: A Craigslist fight broke out over original content bar bands,

Guys, guys, guys:
Quote:
re blah blah

There's only one person to call to fix a problem this big
This was also posted:

Quote:
Regarding All of the Bla(h)s: (Twin Cities)

I'd like to think that you all have a better grasp on music than you do on the English language, but I'm not holding out any hope. There are PLENTY of great bands and venues in this city. End of story.
Quote:
Re: Booze salesmen vs. musicians and blah blah blah (All along the muddy mississippi)

I play with an "originals" band and I'm a live, and let live, kind of musician. I believe in encouraging any and all musicians on their own path they have chosen, even playing for free if they feel that's the course they must take. We are responsible to each other for development of an esprit de corps atmosphere in the music community.

That being said, personally I feel a little let down that somehow, when I hear a number (number...because I don't know how many exactly) of musicians say our product we're producing somehow does not merit asking for a reasonable (and this would need to be qualified on a band by band basis) fee for it. That we just magically continue to crank out music and do it for....well...nothing. The product cannot possibly avoid being de-valued over time.

The music business is a business both on the venue side and the musicians' side. So how is it good business to play for free on the musician side? I suppose it could be said that "a band" may make an executive decision to say, "look...we will play just a few times to get "made" by the public, sell CDs etc. and then crunch numbers. Seems innocent, but there's a problem. We have to apply the old adage, "what's good for the bee is good for the swarm" mentality. What if ALL band's operated this way? We can easily see the concept of "play for free" breaks down under this kind of scrutiny. Sure, in the past many big names may have "at some point" played for free, but... just because it "happened", does that make it ethical or the right thing to do? I hardly think so.

As I mentioned before...Behind the scenes, if a band agrees to play for a doughnut and coffee (or less) and I hear about it, I won't protest or run down that band. Mind you, it is not a good policy but...I'm not going to call someone out on it. HOWEVER, to go on CL publically and suggest that this be an acceptable practice is a whole different matter, that causes a lot of concern over the direction live music will take. It is hard to give a "right" answer on a discussion like this that everyone will like. But I personally have to come down hard on "not settling for free" for the sake of the product we're laboring to produce.

We musicians offer a quality product, if there's any question regarding this, the band/musician owes it to the venue and the audience to "work it" full tilt until it is quality.

I'll end this with a story, actually a sign, I saw once in a print shop that applies here and to a lot of things. It reads, "Paying a fair price for a fair product is a lot like buying Oats. If you want quality oats you must pay a decent price. If, however you are willing to settle for Oats that have already gone through the horse...well then, that will cost you less."

Last edited by MrPockets; 01-12-2014 at 01:49 PM.